Friday 17 June 2016

Book Chat: Dark Places By Gillian Flynn


Dark Places is another book from the author of Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn and is the book that for the last 3 months I have been picking up and putting down hoping I'll eventually get to the end - something I haven't found particularly easy. I own Gone Girl and have been told how great the book is however as of yet I haven't got round to reading it purely because of the vast amount of books that are already on my 'To Read List'. 

The same as Gone Girl, Dark Places also has a film based on the book but my sister has warned me that I shouldn't waste my time as although the film has a pretty good cast - Charlize Theron, Christina Hendricks, Nicholas Hoult and Chloe Grace Moretz - the film itself isn't really that great. Pretty much I feel about the book itself.

The plot line itself is why I was so interested in reading the book in the first place -

"Libby's brother Ben is in prison for the murders of their mother and two sisters. This happened when Libby was just 7 years old and it was Libby's evidence that got Ben convicted of the murders. Now some years later there's a club called 'The Kill Club' who are obsessed with finding out about crimes that have committed and they believe that Ben is innocent. They therefore reach out to Libby and start paying her to relive and investigate exactly what happened all those years ago believing that because of her age at the time that she was wrong about Ben committing the murders."

This is a book that has great foundations and suspense but leaves a sour taste in your mouth at the end because the it just doesn't fit - in my opinion - with the tone of the rest of the book. It's almost half expected and there are quite a few flaws with it, some of you may disagree but for me this was a book that promised but just didn't quite deliver.

If you have read Dark Places then let me know what your opinion of the book is and also how you feel about Gone Girl.

XoX


2 comments:

  1. I've read gone girl and I loved it but Dark Places was so hard to get through, I really didn't enjoy it very much.

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh least I'm not the only one. The whole book left me feeling mehhh after I'd finished it and it was at some points literally sending me to sleep because of how long winded it was xx

      Delete